Skip to main content

Reply for Friday Wannaskan Almanac, August 17, 2018 by WannaskaWriter

"Pssst! Davy! Davy! Hey stoopid!" the bear said from behind the bush. "Com' ere runt dog!"

The bear had known Davy since he was 'wet behind the ears', for as a baby Davy had rolled down a steep hill and into the bear's den, uninvited. Seeing the potential trouble the little lad could be to the bear should he make a quick snack of him, the bear propped him up against a tree in the North Carolina/Tennessee forest so his excitable folks could find him, but before he left he said to the precocious humanoid,

"You owe me, bub. Let's stay in touch."

Crawling off one day, Davy discovered Bear napping, as they do in the middle of the day. Thumping his big friend on the nose, Bear opened one eye, seein' exactly who he thought he'd been smelling for days on end, thinkin' 'Geesus man, don't they ever wash that kid?'

"So what do you want, Stinky?" the bear said, holding the 3 year old at arm's length using an ash branch. "You're always showin' up 'bout the time I'm settlin' down for a good snooze."

"I need to kill me a bear to go with a ballad about me that I know someone's going to write someday and make me famous," said Davy, quite able to communicate with Bears by the age of three, the precocious lad he was.

"Hmmmm," said Bear, with his eyes closed. "I know a few idiots that need killin', when do you need 'em?"

"Caint wait," said Davy. "Gotta kill 'im when I am only three."

"How old you now, kid?" asked Bear. "You smell ripe."

"Three, today," said Davy, smellin' himself under his armpits and makin' a face.
"Words are "Kilt him a bar when he was only three, Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier."

"Whoa, dude!" said Bear, his eyes fully open. "Someone else writin' this here 'ballad' or are you? ""Kilt him a bar?" Who talks like that?"

"Well, I don't really have to kill a bear," said Davy. "After all, ballads are just fairy tales set to music, really. I thought maybe we could work out some sort of deal in which we both benefit from my stardom. I remember that you didn't eat me when you easily could have, just like now I'd be a quick snack, so I owe you big time. You want in on this or not? Likely there'll be other opportunities, but this is a pressing problem for now."

"Well, I could fake falling dead," said the bear, scratching his belly. "Done 'er mor than once. We could stage something over here above my den. How do you kill it?"

"Doesn't say," says Davy. "Only know that little bit of the proposed lyrics--it came to me in a dream. Some musician named George Bruns, working with some guy named Thomas W. Burns, I guess, is going to write it 166 years into the future. I'm probably off my rocker. I did take a nasty fall off that mountain top, you know. Strange that George and Thomas's last names have the same letters, only in different places...."

"Reckon someone'll have to witness it, so's they can say they seen it with their own eyes," said Bear, lookin' for the best place to stand along the top of the hill above his den. "You know anyone you kin trust?"

"Just my bestest friend, 'Orange', our old yellow mongrel dog," brightened Davy. "He ain't much for talkin', but he can rite 'is name and count to ten! The neighbors had a dog named "Yeller, so's I named 'im, Orange. I laugh my britches off when folks hereabouts ask me why didn't I name the l'il cuss, 'Yeller.' Then I tells 'em, "The neighbors named their dog, 'Yeller' first, so if I named my dog 'Yeller', there'd be two dogs within earshot named the same thing. Their dog is a croctchety mean bitey dog who likes to gnaw on people 'e don't know, like yerse'f. I can call 'im, so's you can see what I mean." The man about panicked, don't you think he didn't, shook like a popple leaf in a stiff wind. And I said,"Orange you glad I dint name 'im 'Yeller?'"

"Uh, Davy," Bear said patiently. "We need a human, not no yeller bastard hound dog who kin count to ten. Geesus man, you haven't been hangin' down at the Nolichucky River rapids, have you? I always thought you had more sense than that."

"Well, there's Ma, I reckon," said Davy. "I'd hate to be lyin' to her, not lettin' her in on our joke. She'd tan my hide fast, if'n she'd see you weren't kilt. More'n likely, she'd kill you herse'f. Don't think she likes bears much."

"Good grief, David," said Bear. "You go git yur ma and I'll show myself ..."

"Not that way you l'il pervert!" shouted Bear, indignantly, reacting to Davy's obscene gesture at Bear's statement. "I'll step out so she can see that I'm a bear ... and you run at me with a sharp stick to protect her, feign a stab with it into my chest, and I'll dump my old carcass over the cliff here--then go back to sleep for the winter. Your ma won't tell me apart from any other bear. Deal?"

"Deal, said Davy. "See you in the spring."

Comments

Chairman Joe said…
So that explains it.
Thank you
Explain!? Heck, no. If the "bar" could actually speak, bear hunters would be dumb-struck enough not to kill them, three years old, or not. Call me a bar lover, not a bar fly. CS

Popular posts from this blog

August 6th, 2020 Tired of Writing

                    Comment on Parental Rights 1869-1940     I finished the second installment of my grandfathers biography I wrote in the Wannaskan Almanac for today, late yesterday evening. http://wannaskanalmanac.blogspot.com/2020/08/thursday-august-6th-2020-parental.html       I had worked on it for a good day, by Wednesday, including a few hours on Tuesday too, and in my waning energy for it decided just to wrap it up, rather than keep slogging through dozens of transcribed interviews, page after page, searching for some item that would fit my story, chronologically. In truth, I wanted to be writing something fun.     It wasn't like I wasn't interested in what I was mired in; I enjoy a good slog once in awhile myself, but my dilemma was how do I keep it interesting to others and not get bogged down? I could've just copied pages to be sure, but I needed it to flow somewhat smoothly, and not become just a repetitive list of names, dates and places. Argh. But t

GUD-RIDGE! MAYBE THIS YEAR, BABY!

    Late April renders up another fine Joe tradition hereabouts, the Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge) Lions Annual Smelt Fry, in Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge), Minnesota, seventeen miles east and a mile north of Tuff Rubber Balls (Thief River Falls), Minnesota. ‘Gud-drudge’ is the local vernacular for ‘Goodridge,’ and its proper annunciation, is the separation between towners and tourists.     A small rural town, with a population of about 150 people, is an agricultural community residing within and well beyond the city limits. Often several miles apart, resident farmsteads dot the remote flatland topography of northwestern Minnesota, whose inhabitants often share the lifelong experiences of church, school, employment, and/or family relation.    The smelt fry is a community event that brings people home from across the region. Beginning in the morning, and in combination with area garage sales, auctions begin around town selling consignment items from boats to barrettes, wood stoves, ductwork, framed

Friends to the End: Delmer Roseen and Curtis Johnson

  Delmer and Curtis: Friends to the End      From where he was buried on Saturday April 11th, 1992, the tin roofs of his buildings could be seen through the trees. Across the fence, at the foot of his grave, were the fields he farmed. Between them, Mikinaak Creek--so much a part of Delmer Roseen’s life and sadly, his death--still winds through willow slough, over beaver dams below the Palmville Cemetery, and past his door to the South Fork of the Roseau River, only a few yards to the southeast.         Delmer lived northeast of us in Palmville Township. If I looked just right, I could see his yard light through the woods between his place and mine. Either of us could hear the soft ‘clung’ of the rope and pulley against the flag pole in the cemetery at the corner of our two farms. Red willows, popple islands, and slough grass; green mossy fence posts; the often submerged patchwork of woven wire, and the depth of water in the creek vaguely separated us.      Delmer had live