Skip to main content
  
                                                              True North Minnesota

When I bought my farm in 1971, I sought solitude and escape from a city environment that I felt alien to my nature. I did not seek places of social activity, but places of tranquility with semblances of wilderness; not lakes with boaters and water skiing, but tree-lined lakes and rivers, canoe waters, few people. My wife and I take pleasure planting trees, noting their growth and resulting beauty of forty-one years, photographing the landscape. This must be the most photographed farm in all of Minnesota. So this separates us from those in our families whose lives center wonderfully at lively lakeside cottage communities or embrace urban lifestyles of unlimited entertainment resources--until autumn arrives and leaves begin to fall, up here in True-North Minnesota (the part of Minnesota beyond Brainerd and Bemidji) when the tamaracks turn golden in contrast to the dark green spruce and pines, and hunting seasons begin. Then is when family and friends come North to see us and all our woodland friends:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Omen in Magenta: Roseau County Minnesota Storm Clouds June 10, 2002'

  Storm clouds entering Roseau County on June 10, 2002 preceding the county-wide flood of June 11.       On January 14, 2026, I found the above image buried away in a file cabinet. I had completely forgotten it and even now as I reexamine it wonder where I was when I took it. As old images often do, they can enable one to remember at least what we think happened, (before AI & Photoshop, etc) as photographic fact. And whereas, I can't recall the immediate hours following this image, I can recall to some degree of accuracy, how the flood affected me personally some of the days because I took many many pictures and published a good number of them in our magazine, THE RAVEN: Northwest Minnesota's Original Art, History, & Humor Journal, 1994-2018. The flood issue being Volume 7 Issue 1A.   Unknown to me at the time, if but briefly before Joe McDonnell called me to meet them in Wannaska to help sandbag around the church, threatened as it was by flood wate...

Last Evening of Muzzleloader Season 2025

     What a beautiful night just to be alive and outdoors dressed so warmly! I thank the universe for my being in its entirety of no wont nor regret, wholly appreciative of the immediate all around me.

Adventures in Parenting 1990-1993

    Two True Stories 1990-1993 " We didn’t make her fearful, we made her brave."     Bag O' Bonny           Turning in at Bemis Hill, in Roseau County, Minnesota, I snapped a few images of the nicely maintained CCC-era log cabin and its immediate sledding hill. Leaving, I turned west on the road I came in on, then a half mile or so, took the Bemis Hill Forest Road north along the bottom of the Hill when my daughter Bonny called from Ankeny, Iowa, where she lived then, several hundreds of miles away.     I always thought how amazing it was to be in the middle of nowhere and get a phone call. I was  leaning against my car along a remote northwest Minnesota forest road in Beltrami Island State Forest with the steep legendary sledding hill behind me and a 700,000 acre forest around me, possibly making me its sole human occupant for five square miles, conservatively speaking, the thought of which is just aw...