Skip to main content

June 3rd, 2021

 Summer is soon upon us and that means a substantial increase of heat here in NW Minnesota, requiring our best efforts to combat its unpleasantness by utilizing ice cold lake water and ingenuity to save ourselves from the effects of odoriferous armpits and sticky swamp nuts. 

   Don’t be laughin’ now, should you be a guy or facsimile, for the struggle is real. Fortunately, there are products out there to combat this fetid issue. One individual, although probably paid by the vendor, has discovered the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fe4GlbyN6U

Comments

I don't tink da T-powder guy is a Palmville resident.

Our next door neighbor has a spring fed pond with a gazebo on the shoreline. He lets me store a bar of soap under da pond side of the foundation. At da end of each hot day, I dash over, take da plunge, and dash back, having cleansed my skin of sveat and bug repellent, and my nethers of any icky accumulation.

Yes, da vater is cold, and der is shrinkage, but dat's part of da fun!
WannaskaWriter said…
Da bugs must love the excitement you bring to their part of the forest as they lay in wait in swale and glen for you to flit back yumpin' and shakin' pond water and all its accoutrements of sago pond weed and water lily root from your torso as you go, for afterall a moving target is much more the challenge than just a walker, man or beast.

Popular posts from this blog

'Omen in Magenta: Roseau County Minnesota Storm Clouds June 10, 2002'

  Storm clouds entering Roseau County on June 10, 2002 preceding the county-wide flood of June 11.       On January 14, 2026, I found the above image buried away in a file cabinet. I had completely forgotten it and even now as I reexamine it wonder where I was when I took it. As old images often do, they can enable one to remember at least what we think happened, (before AI & Photoshop, etc) as photographic fact. And whereas, I can't recall the immediate hours following this image, I can recall to some degree of accuracy, how the flood affected me personally some of the days because I took many many pictures and published a good number of them in our magazine, THE RAVEN: Northwest Minnesota's Original Art, History, & Humor Journal, 1994-2018. The flood issue being Volume 7 Issue 1A.   Unknown to me at the time, if but briefly before Joe McDonnell called me to meet them in Wannaska to help sandbag around the church, threatened as it was by flood wate...

Last Evening of Muzzleloader Season 2025

     What a beautiful night just to be alive and outdoors dressed so warmly! I thank the universe for my being in its entirety of no wont nor regret, wholly appreciative of the immediate all around me.

Adventures in Parenting 1990-1993

    Two True Stories 1990-1993 " We didn’t make her fearful, we made her brave."     Bag O' Bonny           Turning in at Bemis Hill, in Roseau County, Minnesota, I snapped a few images of the nicely maintained CCC-era log cabin and its immediate sledding hill. Leaving, I turned west on the road I came in on, then a half mile or so, took the Bemis Hill Forest Road north along the bottom of the Hill when my daughter Bonny called from Ankeny, Iowa, where she lived then, several hundreds of miles away.     I always thought how amazing it was to be in the middle of nowhere and get a phone call. I was  leaning against my car along a remote northwest Minnesota forest road in Beltrami Island State Forest with the steep legendary sledding hill behind me and a 700,000 acre forest around me, possibly making me its sole human occupant for five square miles, conservatively speaking, the thought of which is just aw...