Skip to main content

July 17, 2021 Generational Prank

 

   

Ervin, (the Palm boys dad), and his brother Clinton Palm  1931

 

   My dad was a fun-spirited person in his own right. He enjoyed playing with children, making their lives fun, and they liked him too. He had become an icon on both sides of the family for his antics, although by the time I was born in the early 1950s, he was almost all played out.

   In the early years of my folk’s marriage (beginning in 1929), when my mother’s much younger siblings were all still at home here in Roseau County, I suspect Dad played a few jokes on them, one of which I remember distinctly was when the Palm boys from ‘Da Range’ were up here visiting “Grandma Palm and Uncle Raymond,” in the early 1960s.

   Dad had one of the four brothers, all about my age, sit down on the floor with his legs wide apart. Then, using a few ounces of water, he made a small puddle on the floor between the lad’s knees and his ankles.

   Arming the now very curious boy with two table knives, their points down over the water; he was told to raise them, independently, up and down, just above the puddle.

   Dad, holding a dish towel in his hand, leaned down toward the boy, and challenged him by saying he could wipe the water up so fast that the boy couldn’t touch him with either of those knives.

   The boy laughed at the impossible notion because he was his hockey team’s goalie, “The best that ever was,” and there was no way this old old man could get through his defense.

   The scene set, the boy jabbing at the puddle with his knives; Dad made a few feint motions with his rag to either side of the puddle; the spectators cheering the adversaries on, when Dad deftly grabbed the boy by both his ankles and pulled him through the water, mopping the floor dry in an instant! The crowd roared! But not so the lad. Still, the lad took it well, for he had no choice, ‘Big boys don’t cry’ and all that.

   And so, fast forward to November of 2008 or so, when a certain young teen-aged mouthy person was at the family deer camp, acting out and pretty much disrespecting us older folks there, even though she knew better; when, at long last, this same lad now in his late fifties, motioned to the lass, who mimicked him, then loudly laughed her trademark laugh that which us older folks had grown all too tired.

   “Sit yourself down here on the floor with your legs apart and we’ll play a game you can’t possibly win,” he may have said as he gathered his tools.

   “Ha! RIGHT!” she may have answered, adding “I’m a state champion volleyball player and captain of my team!You’ll never win against me.”

   He chose a good place on the pretty-clean-for-a-deer-camp floor, and gave her two sharp hunting knives with their points down, to insure her rapt attention. Others in the camp were equally curious, for only two beside myself knew of its outcome and relished its delicious surprise.

   “You hold these like this ... and go up and down with them about ... here,” the old guy said, gesturing what it was he wanted her to do.

   Turning away from her a moment to get the cup of water and towel on the kitchen table, he leaned down to her and said “I bet you, ... I can wipe this...,” as he poured some water on the floor in that spot between her knees and ankles. “... water up, and even trying as hard as you can, you can’t touch me with those knives. Ready?”

   “You, you want me to stab you?” she said smiling, stifling her laughter momentarily.

   “Don’t worry,” the old guy said, smiling. “You’ll never touch me. State Volleyball Champion once-upon-a-time, maybe, but you’re too old and slow now!”

   Forgetting her former concern, she glowered, looking about the camp. “Better get the band aids out, grandpa!”

   He made a couple attempts, warning her that she couldn’t swipe at him, but had to go straight up and down, then grabbed her ankles and pulled her butt through the water.

TOTAL SHOCK AND HUMILIATION.

   She jumped up, slammed the knives to the floor, and angrily marched out of the camp, to her family camp, -- only to sheepishly reappear an hour or so later in a change of clothes and attitude.

   She apparently saw the error in her behavior. If anyone talked to her about it, I don’t know, but she continued to show a great deal more humility and maturity, at least in deer camp, from then on.
 

   I saw her at a community fund raiser nine or ten years after her debacle at deer camp, and here she was, all grown up, with a kid of her own. She saw me, smiled greatly, and embraced me like a long lost friend.

   “I don’t think I’ve seen you since that time at deer camp when Gene pulled that trick on me!” she almost squealed, showing me she had her energy levels still intact even after child birth.

   “Well, you weren’t the first one he did that to,” I said. “You were a good sport about it.”

   “I’ve used it on some kids myself!” she said, grinning. “I wonder who played it on him.”

   “My dad!” I confessed. “He tricked Gene’s dad, with that one too, when he was about the same age!”



Comments

It's inappropriate to make a dad joke if you're not a dad. It's a faux pa.

Popular posts from this blog

August 6th, 2020 Tired of Writing

                    Comment on Parental Rights 1869-1940     I finished the second installment of my grandfathers biography I wrote in the Wannaskan Almanac for today, late yesterday evening. http://wannaskanalmanac.blogspot.com/2020/08/thursday-august-6th-2020-parental.html       I had worked on it for a good day, by Wednesday, including a few hours on Tuesday too, and in my waning energy for it decided just to wrap it up, rather than keep slogging through dozens of transcribed interviews, page after page, searching for some item that would fit my story, chronologically. In truth, I wanted to be writing something fun.     It wasn't like I wasn't interested in what I was mired in; I enjoy a good slog once in awhile myself, but my dilemma was how do I keep it interesting to others and not get bogged down? I could've just copied pages to be sure, but I needed it to flow somewhat smoothly, and not become just a repetitive list of names, dates and places. Argh. But t

Friends to the End: Delmer Roseen and Curtis Johnson

  Delmer and Curtis: Friends to the End      From where he was buried on Saturday April 11th, 1992, the tin roofs of his buildings could be seen through the trees. Across the fence, at the foot of his grave, were the fields he farmed. Between them, Mikinaak Creek--so much a part of Delmer Roseen’s life and sadly, his death--still winds through willow slough, over beaver dams below the Palmville Cemetery, and past his door to the South Fork of the Roseau River, only a few yards to the southeast.         Delmer lived northeast of us in Palmville Township. If I looked just right, I could see his yard light through the woods between his place and mine. Either of us could hear the soft ‘clung’ of the rope and pulley against the flag pole in the cemetery at the corner of our two farms. Red willows, popple islands, and slough grass; green mossy fence posts; the often submerged patchwork of woven wire, and the depth of water in the creek vaguely separated us.      Delmer had live

Palmville Bison: Hiding In Plain Sight

  Herd Bull and Cow     I didn't see them when I took this picture, but just to the right of center, the dark rectangular shape in the deciduous trees, the white largest orb is one of the bison's right eye, the faint orb is a glimmer of its left eye as though it's looking at the camera. The dark bison's nose is hidden behind a spruce tree. See the top of its head and the arc of its right horn below which is a light green serious-looking white-eyed bison in the background staring directly at the camera, its nose halved by foreground trees.   Upon closer examination now there appears a third bison, an emerald green-color bovine head shape at maybe a 30-degree angle emanating from the upper left corner . Imagine a triangle, from its right eye about half of the way down from the corner, to its left eye slightly above it a third of the way down in the image, to its left nostril hidden in the lighter shade wetland grasses in the bottom.