Skip to main content

2015 Collection: Sporadic Notes from The Toy Factory #3 Penning Perspective

    

Penning Perspective

    "Being employed full-time for the last 27 years; the first five in the toy factory as seasonal/part-time, I'd forgotten idle-time's effect on my psyche over a prolonged winter lay-off, and as a result, how writing became so integral to my everyday; a lifesaver.

    During those long isolated days over winter, alone as I was, I was drinking, mostly beer, with a few meals interspersed during the day. Homemade stews and soups, steaks, hamburger, pork chops, fried potatoes, bacon, eggs, and a good amount of bread found its way into my body -- and out of it -- when I started writing if only to keep myself sane. 

    I had no ambition to do anything with it. No objective to sell my work to magazines or publishers. Being before the time of personal computers and cellphones, and not owning a TV, writing was simply a cheap activity that I could do on a 24/7 basis. All I needed was a pen or pencil, preferably narrow-ruled 5-subject binder notebooks when I could find them, or good quality unlined paper if I could not.

    I had favorite pens too, Bics mostly, until the 'roller ball' Parker pens came out. After those, I began using (and still use) the Pentel V5 fine point; that I observed with interest over the years, were the favorite choice of hand-writers.

    But pens don't fare well in subzero temperatures. On the other hand, mechanical pencils aren't bothered by 30-below, which makes them pretty utilitarian, if not so one's fingertips."

https://palmvilletownshipmn.blogspot.com/2018/11/pen-point-2018.html 

(Knew I had used this image some place before!)



Comments

I like the Uniball Vision Elite - smooth with a wide trail of ink.
WannaskaWriter said…
I bought four of the Uniball Visions recently. It's difficult to find the Pentels locally, and even on-line, 'Fine' is difficult to get. I used to prefer extra fine, but it doesn't matter anymore. But one thing I maintain, I don't let just anybody borrow 'my pen.' "You're not going to scrawl on cardboard with a pen I write with!" used to be my mantra. Yes, they thought me weird at the toy factory.

Popular posts from this blog

'Omen in Magenta: Roseau County Minnesota Storm Clouds June 10, 2002'

  Storm clouds entering Roseau County on June 10, 2002 preceding the county-wide flood of June 11.       On January 14, 2026, I found the above image buried away in a file cabinet. I had completely forgotten it and even now as I reexamine it wonder where I was when I took it. As old images often do, they can enable one to remember at least what we think happened, (before AI & Photoshop, etc) as photographic fact. And whereas, I can't recall the immediate hours following this image, I can recall to some degree of accuracy, how the flood affected me personally some of the days because I took many many pictures and published a good number of them in our magazine, THE RAVEN: Northwest Minnesota's Original Art, History, & Humor Journal, 1994-2018. The flood issue being Volume 7 Issue 1A.   Unknown to me at the time, if but briefly before Joe McDonnell called me to meet them in Wannaska to help sandbag around the church, threatened as it was by flood wate...

Last Evening of Muzzleloader Season 2025

     What a beautiful night just to be alive and outdoors dressed so warmly! I thank the universe for my being in its entirety of no wont nor regret, wholly appreciative of the immediate all around me.

Adventures in Parenting 1990-1993

    Two True Stories 1990-1993 " We didn’t make her fearful, we made her brave."     Bag O' Bonny           Turning in at Bemis Hill, in Roseau County, Minnesota, I snapped a few images of the nicely maintained CCC-era log cabin and its immediate sledding hill. Leaving, I turned west on the road I came in on, then a half mile or so, took the Bemis Hill Forest Road north along the bottom of the Hill when my daughter Bonny called from Ankeny, Iowa, where she lived then, several hundreds of miles away.     I always thought how amazing it was to be in the middle of nowhere and get a phone call. I was  leaning against my car along a remote northwest Minnesota forest road in Beltrami Island State Forest with the steep legendary sledding hill behind me and a 700,000 acre forest around me, possibly making me its sole human occupant for five square miles, conservatively speaking, the thought of which is just aw...