Skip to main content

2015 Collection: Sporadic Notes from The Toy Factory #5 Sights and Sounds

    

Forklift Track
    
"I used to drive an electric industrial forklift. It's a job of some skill. Not everyone makes a good forklift driver. I'm not claiming I was the best that ever was by far, but I can say I could back one up using my mirror better than anyone else on my shift at the very least; owing to the many years I drove dairy and freight trucks in Iowa, where I had to back up sometimes long distances, and around various parked vehicles in close confines, using only my side mirrors. I had a lot of practice and safely utilized it on the job. 

    "The conventionally accepted method of driving a forklift in reverse is turning your body on the seat, left to right, and looking over your left shoulder in the direction you are traveling, as you apply the reverse pedal. The negative issue about that method is, long term, a person taxes their neck and lower back driving a forklift that way, especially on an uneven concrete floor as there usually is minimal suspension on the machine; an air-ride seat, as I had, aids tremendously in the comfort of the driver. 

    "Utilizing the rearview mirror is ergonomically sound, if not in strict adherence with OSHA, and keeps the driver's neck and back straight. OSHA: Operating the Forklift

   Pre-Operation

   Traveling & Maneuvering

   Load Handling

Keep a clear view.

[29 CFR 1910.178(n)(6)]

Look in the direction of travel. When reversing, look behind. [29 CFR 1910.178(n)(6)]

Use spotters, rear view mirrors, 

or other aids to increase visibility. 

Which I argued when questioned, I did, looking where I was going backwards in the mirror as well (" ... to increase visibility.") ; my drivers safety record reflected this.

    "The wavering hum of electrical solenoids and motors at idle. The horn in an elliptical-shaped steering wheel; and the spinner knob in the narrow of the lobe.

    "Two joysticks at the end of the righthand arm rest: The left stick makes the forks go up and down; tilt forward and backward. The right stick narrows or widens the forks; slides the pair left or right.

    "The three floor pedals are for direction; the left pedal is for reverse and also called the inch brake; the middle pedal is the brake; and the right pedal is forward motion. The brake is seldom used as releasing either of the directional pedals will effectively slow and stop the vehicle.

    "The loud jarring slap of the steel forks against the uneven concrete floor in places makes me appreciate the hearing protection ear plugs I have to wear. 

    "The loud attention-getting beep-beep noise of the back-up alarm as I travel in reverse.

    "The 'cush' sound of an air-ride adjustable seat suspension. The mirror-like reflection of activities rearward of me; knowledge of blindspots below my line of vision when looking over my shoulder.

    "The sensation of riding 36-40-inches above the floor within a steel cage creates limited frontal vision because of the mast and vertical locations of hydraulic hoses either side of it.

    "The expansive rear vision through a proper mirror not too convex. 

    "The 'whirl-turn panning effect' when turning a corner with one hand."



Comments

My neck hurts just reading this story!

Popular posts from this blog

GUD-RIDGE! MAYBE THIS YEAR, BABY!

    Late April renders up another fine Joe tradition hereabouts, the Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge) Lions Annual Smelt Fry, in Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge), Minnesota, seventeen miles east and a mile north of Tuff Rubber Balls (Thief River Falls), Minnesota. ‘Gud-drudge’ is the local vernacular for ‘Goodridge,’ and its proper annunciation, is the separation between towners and tourists.     A small rural town, with a population of about 150 people, is an agricultural community residing within and well beyond the city limits. Often several miles apart, resident farmsteads dot the remote flatland topography of northwestern Minnesota, whose inhabitants often share the lifelong experiences of church, school, employment, and/or family relation.    The smelt fry is a community event that brings people home from across the region. Beginning in the morning, and in combination with area garage sales, auctions begin around town selling consignment items from boats to barrettes, wood stoves, ductwork, framed

Friends to the End: Delmer Roseen and Curtis Johnson

  Delmer and Curtis: Friends to the End      From where he was buried on Saturday April 11th, 1992, the tin roofs of his buildings could be seen through the trees. Across the fence, at the foot of his grave, were the fields he farmed. Between them, Mikinaak Creek--so much a part of Delmer Roseen’s life and sadly, his death--still winds through willow slough, over beaver dams below the Palmville Cemetery, and past his door to the South Fork of the Roseau River, only a few yards to the southeast.         Delmer lived northeast of us in Palmville Township. If I looked just right, I could see his yard light through the woods between his place and mine. Either of us could hear the soft ‘clung’ of the rope and pulley against the flag pole in the cemetery at the corner of our two farms. Red willows, popple islands, and slough grass; green mossy fence posts; the often submerged patchwork of woven wire, and the depth of water in the creek vaguely separated us.      Delmer had live

August 6th, 2020 Tired of Writing

                    Comment on Parental Rights 1869-1940     I finished the second installment of my grandfathers biography I wrote in the Wannaskan Almanac for today, late yesterday evening. http://wannaskanalmanac.blogspot.com/2020/08/thursday-august-6th-2020-parental.html       I had worked on it for a good day, by Wednesday, including a few hours on Tuesday too, and in my waning energy for it decided just to wrap it up, rather than keep slogging through dozens of transcribed interviews, page after page, searching for some item that would fit my story, chronologically. In truth, I wanted to be writing something fun.     It wasn't like I wasn't interested in what I was mired in; I enjoy a good slog once in awhile myself, but my dilemma was how do I keep it interesting to others and not get bogged down? I could've just copied pages to be sure, but I needed it to flow somewhat smoothly, and not become just a repetitive list of names, dates and places. Argh. But t