Skip to main content

2015 Collection: Sporadic Notes from The Toy Factory #7 Reality


Have A Nice Weekend. Oh, Do You Have To Work?

"F@#$%^&*! " loudly growled the woman working behind a pallet of various sized cardboard boxes. I could feel her frustration reverberate through her corrugated makeshift jail, as she worked to make sense of it all.

She was a dayshift worker; I worked evenings 3-11 pm. I had just started work; she had another half hour to go. I was checking-in my forklift and electric 'car,' aptly called 'a tugger.' I hauled big parts using the forklift and pulled long trains of parts using the tugger; the latter job one that I said I'd never do over the years, but, toward the nearing end of my tenure at the toy factory, I decided to bite the bullet and just do the job; retirement is just a short time away.

A dayshift guy does the same job I do, but he is usually gone before I get to the department. Once in great while our paths cross, but he's just as eager to leave at 3:00 pm as I am at 11:00 pm. Depending on what he's left me to do, that he should've done, does affect his leave-off time and the chance that we'll meet in passing. Oh well, we've all heard the expression "The dead come alive at quitting time." Maybe others think I do the same thing, but I try not to give them that impression.

The woman was working at a job no one liked to do, where unused parts were returned to a central location and put back into the department I worked. Many of the parts were not in their original containers, nor were they relabeled, nor their quantities changed so the woman had to do all that; a totally thankless job at best. 

On top of that, one of the containers had broken when she picked it up; and the hundreds of small parts inside it spilled across the floor and rolled under things. She was fit to be tied, so I helped her pick them up. I know it's murder to have to deal with things like that at the end of shift when you're frustrated enough over the many other trying events of the day.

But so it is in a toy factory, a place of physical toil for the most part, and often tedious labor. I was fortunate to have some mobility as a forklift driver. I got to thinking working there wasn't so bad once I accepted it was what I had chosen to do to earn a living and still live where I do, doing the things I loved to do, far from the maddening crowd. 

There are other jobs out there; all you have to do is look, particularly in 2015. There's no reason to be unemployed in northwestern Minnesota because businesses are crying for good employable people, sometimes they accept less, hoping to find that single nugget in a sea of sand.


Comments

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.

Tecumseh

Popular posts from this blog

'Omen in Magenta: Roseau County Minnesota Storm Clouds June 10, 2002'

  Storm clouds entering Roseau County on June 10, 2002 preceding the county-wide flood of June 11.       On January 14, 2026, I found the above image buried away in a file cabinet. I had completely forgotten it and even now as I reexamine it wonder where I was when I took it. As old images often do, they can enable one to remember at least what we think happened, (before AI & Photoshop, etc) as photographic fact. And whereas, I can't recall the immediate hours following this image, I can recall to some degree of accuracy, how the flood affected me personally some of the days because I took many many pictures and published a good number of them in our magazine, THE RAVEN: Northwest Minnesota's Original Art, History, & Humor Journal, 1994-2018. The flood issue being Volume 7 Issue 1A.   Unknown to me at the time, if but briefly before Joe McDonnell called me to meet them in Wannaska to help sandbag around the church, threatened as it was by flood wate...

Last Evening of Muzzleloader Season 2025

     What a beautiful night just to be alive and outdoors dressed so warmly! I thank the universe for my being in its entirety of no wont nor regret, wholly appreciative of the immediate all around me.

Adventures in Parenting 1990-1993

    Two True Stories 1990-1993 " We didn’t make her fearful, we made her brave."     Bag O' Bonny           Turning in at Bemis Hill, in Roseau County, Minnesota, I snapped a few images of the nicely maintained CCC-era log cabin and its immediate sledding hill. Leaving, I turned west on the road I came in on, then a half mile or so, took the Bemis Hill Forest Road north along the bottom of the Hill when my daughter Bonny called from Ankeny, Iowa, where she lived then, several hundreds of miles away.     I always thought how amazing it was to be in the middle of nowhere and get a phone call. I was  leaning against my car along a remote northwest Minnesota forest road in Beltrami Island State Forest with the steep legendary sledding hill behind me and a 700,000 acre forest around me, possibly making me its sole human occupant for five square miles, conservatively speaking, the thought of which is just aw...