Skip to main content

“We Were Not The Savages: Collision Between European and Native American Civilizations,” by Daniel N. Paul

  

    I learned of the book,“We Were Not The Savages: Collision Between European and Native American Civilizations,” by Daniel N. Paul, through my son John who lives on the Red Cliff Ojibwe Reservation in Wisconsin. Although I am not a Indigenous person, many of my relatives are through marriage. My interests in their culture and history are paramount to my day-to-day education; I read. I visit. I listen. I learn.

   My Anishinaabe Ojibwe grandson, Ozaawaa, John’s son, is 13 years old; he’s been my primary catalyst of learning and experiencing Anishinaabe culture since his birth. One day when Ozaawaa was six, we were outdoors playing Frisbee, he stopped and asked me, offhandedly,
“Grandpa, are you Native?”

   It was a question that I knew we’d be sharing eventually, and as I was unable to avoid it, I answered,
“No Ozaawaa. I’m not.”

   “What are you then?” he said. “I’m ... uh ... Euro-American,” I answered watching his face for recognition so I wouldn’t have to explain further. Not receiving it, I added, “I’m a ... white man.”

   “Maybe you’re Native, and your mother never told you,” Ozaawaa ventured, giving me an out. “Grandpa, I really need you to be Native.”

   Knowing that my father’s ancestors had come to North America in the 1700s; and my mother’s ancestors in the 1880s, I was anguished by the truth I had to share with him. “I’m sorry, Ozaawaa,” I said. “But I’m as faraway from being Native as I can get.”

   As this question had seemingly come out of the blue, I asked him, “Why do you want to know? Did you learn this in school?”
“I met an American at the gas station,” he said smiling, so proud in his achievement.

   Knowing humor is in great supply on the rez, I could imagine how the conversation may have come about, as highly sociable he was at that age.
“Ozaawaa, you and I are Americans too! I said, smiling at him. “That person was having fun with you!”

   And with that, he threw the Frisbee at me, and shouted,
“You should’ve caught that! I threw it right to you!”

   Later that afternoon I contemplated the derision I may had sown when others learned what I had told Ozaawaa, “You and I are Americans too.”   I could’ve cut myself some slack for the fact I that I was only six years into my education about Indigenous peoples, except that I started out 500-600 hundred years behind the class from its very beginning. 

    The irreparable ignorance and disrespect with which Europeans came ashore eternally scarred The People throughout the North and South Americas for generations. Being a White man, forever weakens my relationship with them. No matter how much I thought I had non-participated in it, I would never recover from its effects as well.

   What was I thinking? The fact was, I didn’t think about the implication of including Ozaawaa in that statement, for being Indigenous is being Indigenous the world over, not a governmental designation accepted by the whole.

   Declaring him an American, as I identify, disrespects the fact he is Anishinaabe Ojibwe first and foremost. The Jay Treaty, of 1794, between Great Britain and the United States, recognized Indigenous peoples of having a sort of duality in providing “ ... that American Indians ... and First Nations people born in Canada may travel freely across the international boundary ... for the purpose of employment, study, retirement, investing, and/or immigration.”

   Had I said it in the presence of others, especially elders, I think it likely that their reaction would have been quiet contempt or social distancing. Historical ignorance of their culture, past and present, has played out negatively from the very beginning and only years of genuine interaction, respect, honor, and love will amend it on a personal basis, so I tread lightly, but sometimes still stumble along the way.

   Reading Daniel N. Paul’s 4th Edition book, “We Were Not The Savages,” repeatedly dredges up that decisive division that European invaders created, and we, as non-Indigenous descendants since, derive our very existence in North America.

   In his First Edition published in 1995, and early self-published writings in the 1980s, Paul spat out his anger and pain across the pages writing about the terrible persecution and suffering of his ancestors the Mi’kmaq people of Nova Scotia, and other Indigenous First Nations, of Acadia, and Maritime Provinces of Canada.

   Paul’s figure of speech reminded me immediately of the 1995 Anishinnaabeg Ojibwe book, “We Have a Right To Exist: A Translation of Aboriginal Indigenous Thought,” by the late Red Lake Ojibwe author Wub-E-Ke-Niew, aka Francis Blake, whose book was described as ‘a fierce book, fiercely written.’ Their combined use of polemic writing, although based on historical reality, challenged me to finish both books; although by the 4th Edition, Paul’s efforts were tempered by 27 years of research and extensive documentation.

   One subject in particular that seized my attention was Paul’s First Edition assertion that disease was not the primary killer of Mi’kmaqs but instead it was the British guns and the destruction of food supplies that were responsible for the Mi’kmaq demise. By the Fourth Edition, Paul expands: "Many historians, anthropologists, archeologists and others have argued that the horrendous death toll suffered by Native Americans during colonization was caused primarily by European-originated diseases. This was so, in their opinion, because the Indigenous Americans had little or no natural immunity against them.

   “Let’s examine another, more plausible, theory. Amerindians had been in contact with Europeans for at least five or six centuries, maybe more, prior to European invasion and colonization. Many had also traded with the Inuit, a people who had been in contact with their Asian relatives for uncountable centuries. When these centuries of contact with people carrying the diseases of Europe and Asia are considered, it is reasonable to assume that by 1492 the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas had acquired considerable immunity.

   “Therefore, it can be assumed that diseases from Europe were not solely responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of Native Americans. What caused a great deal of the population decline, besides cold-blooded murder and genocidal policies, were the destruction and cutting off of traditional food resources by Europeans. With this came famine, malnutrition, and starvation, which severely lowered resistance to all sicknesses and created ideal conditions for disease to run rampant among them with deadly consequences. These were the major factors which caused the 90 plus percent decline in the Amerindian population over the centuries after 1492.

   “The European way of life and livelihood, entirely foreign to Indigenous American cultures, was also a prime factor. However, after acclimatizing themselves to residing within a foreign social environment, where racism was paramount, the populations of many Amerindian civilizations began to stabilize around the middle of the nineteenth century, and some began to increase around the middle of the twentieth; but many others had already become extinct.”

  Addendum: A request was made, by John, to add: 

The intentional breakdown of the family unit, addiction to drugs, alcohol, and the slow death from dietary diseases becoming prevalent in the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries are among the major factors causing the decline in Amerindian populations.

 Responses:

 Remember
Joy Harjo

Remember the sky that you were born under,
know each of the star's stories.
Remember the moon, know who she is.
Remember the sun's birth at dawn, that is the
strongest point of time. Remember sundown
and the giving away to night.
Remember your birth, how your mother struggled
to give you form and breath. You are evidence of
her life, and her mother's, and hers.
Remember your father. He is your life, also.
Remember the earth whose skin you are:
red earth, black earth, yellow earth, white earth
brown earth, we are earth.
Remember the plants, trees, animal life who all have their
tribes, their families, their histories, too. Talk to them,
listen to them. They are alive poems.
Remember the wind. Remember her voice. She knows the
origin of this universe.
Remember you are all people and all people
are you.
Remember you are this universe and this
universe is you.
Remember all is in motion, is growing, is you.
Remember language comes from this.
Remember the dance language is, that life is.
Remember. 


Before the arrival of the white man, the tribes were at constant war with each other. What made the devastation of the tribes by the white man possible over the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries was the same thing that continues the random but regular massacres of today: Guns.

Reply

Guns are inanimate objects of no life or energy of their own, whether in the mid-1500s or 2022. It is the user behind them that makes them deadly. Paul asserts that, yes, the superior weaponry of the Europeans played a huge part in warfare against them no doubt, but it was the policy of European imperialism and white supremacy behind their use.

"We Were Not The Savages," by Daniel N. Paul: " (page 203)
"The cruelty the British used to subjugate and then degrade the Mi'Kmaq vividly demonstrates their [white supremacist mentality] policy of ridding the province of the Mi'kmaq never deviated from 1713 to Canada's founding in 1867. However, their genocidal effort in Nova Scotia wasn't unusual; they used the same barbarism subjugating other First Nations in all of their North American colonies. The records show that many well-connected and militarily-powerful English officials were very imaginative in finding ways to achieve their evil goals."

Indigenous tribes did war with one another, the world over, but that doesn't excuse the scorched earth policies of Great Britain in the Americas.

"We Were Not The Savages: Collision between European and Native American Civilizations,"  

http://www.danielnpaul.com/WeWereNotTheSavages-Mi%27kmaqHistory.html

Comments

One more from Joy:

Equinox
by Joy Harjo

I must keep from breaking into the story by force
for if I do I will find myself with a war club in my hand
and the smoke of grief staggering toward the sun,
your nation dead beside you.

I keep walking away though it has been an eternity
and from each drop of blood
springs up sons and daughters, trees,
a mountain of sorrows, of songs.

I tell you this from the dusk of a small city in the north
not far from the birthplace of cars and industry.
Geese are returning to mate and crocuses have
broken through the frozen earth.

Soon they will come for me and I will make my stand
before the jury of destiny. Yes, I will answer in the clatter
of the new world, I have broken my addiction to war
and desire. Yes, I will reply, I have buried the dead

and made songs of the blood, the marrow.

Popular posts from this blog

August 6th, 2020 Tired of Writing

                    Comment on Parental Rights 1869-1940     I finished the second installment of my grandfathers biography I wrote in the Wannaskan Almanac for today, late yesterday evening. http://wannaskanalmanac.blogspot.com/2020/08/thursday-august-6th-2020-parental.html       I had worked on it for a good day, by Wednesday, including a few hours on Tuesday too, and in my waning energy for it decided just to wrap it up, rather than keep slogging through dozens of transcribed interviews, page after page, searching for some item that would fit my story, chronologically. In truth, I wanted to be writing something fun.     It wasn't like I wasn't interested in what I was mired in; I enjoy a good slog once in awhile myself, but my dilemma was how do I keep it interesting to others and not get bogged down? I could've just copied pages to be sure, but I needed it to flow somewhat smoothly, and not become just a repetitive list of names, dates and places. Argh. But t

Friends to the End: Delmer Roseen and Curtis Johnson

  Delmer and Curtis: Friends to the End      From where he was buried on Saturday April 11th, 1992, the tin roofs of his buildings could be seen through the trees. Across the fence, at the foot of his grave, were the fields he farmed. Between them, Mikinaak Creek--so much a part of Delmer Roseen’s life and sadly, his death--still winds through willow slough, over beaver dams below the Palmville Cemetery, and past his door to the South Fork of the Roseau River, only a few yards to the southeast.         Delmer lived northeast of us in Palmville Township. If I looked just right, I could see his yard light through the woods between his place and mine. Either of us could hear the soft ‘clung’ of the rope and pulley against the flag pole in the cemetery at the corner of our two farms. Red willows, popple islands, and slough grass; green mossy fence posts; the often submerged patchwork of woven wire, and the depth of water in the creek vaguely separated us.      Delmer had live

GUD-RIDGE! MAYBE THIS YEAR, BABY!

    Late April renders up another fine Joe tradition hereabouts, the Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge) Lions Annual Smelt Fry, in Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge), Minnesota, seventeen miles east and a mile north of Tuff Rubber Balls (Thief River Falls), Minnesota. ‘Gud-drudge’ is the local vernacular for ‘Goodridge,’ and its proper annunciation, is the separation between towners and tourists.     A small rural town, with a population of about 150 people, is an agricultural community residing within and well beyond the city limits. Often several miles apart, resident farmsteads dot the remote flatland topography of northwestern Minnesota, whose inhabitants often share the lifelong experiences of church, school, employment, and/or family relation.    The smelt fry is a community event that brings people home from across the region. Beginning in the morning, and in combination with area garage sales, auctions begin around town selling consignment items from boats to barrettes, wood stoves, ductwork, framed