Skip to main content

Disking For Rain

All too reliably forecasted rain systems had avoided drought-stricken Palmville Township in 2023, and just taunted our crops. I had little reason to think these scattered showers would act any different.

  Disking my over-grown firebreaks on Thursday, April 11th, to help prevent the spectre of wildfire did the same thing as washing a car did long ago, for toward evening it progressively rained, sleeted, and hailed on me a quarter mile from home, forcing me to take shelter in a dense windbreak of white spruce trees north of the one-room Palmville schoolhouse; I loved the irony of it.



   It was a partly cloudy evening. I was disking a 16-foot wide north/south firebreak between the county road ditch and a 4-row windbreak that is almost a half mile long, using my old Massey-Ferguson 180 diesel tractor and eight-foot wide tandem disk. The firebreak hadn’t been disked for two years. I had lucked-out, fire-wise, hoping nothing would ignite the ditch and the grass-covered separation between it and the four tree rows that bordered over 150 acres of trees and under-story plants immediately on their east side. 
 
West side firebreak

East side firebreak

Old 1967 tractor, much older disk. I think it's over 125 years old.

Yes, the right side rear tandem end is bent out and so wobbles -- but works. I caught the corner on a tree or rock years ago. There are scrapers built onto it that clean mud/debris from the face of each disk. On its tongue is a sliding adjustment device connected to a rope that the tractor driver: pulls to either advance the tandems so to be parallel to each other, (= - shaped) for transport, or pulls the rope, reverses the tractor to put the disk in this X-shaped arrangement so when traveling forward, it cuts the soil. Modern disks are designed the same way but are hydraulically operated.


   Roseau County had recently been put under a burning ban as the whole county had become a tinderbox, so my anxiety heightened. Oddly enough, though the grass upon it was dangerously dry, the soil under it was yet too sodden to allow heavy equipment on it so I had to wait until April 11th, before I could access the ditch edge and successfully disk its west side. 
 
   Using such a small 8’ tandem disk, even weighted down with 800 pounds of concrete block, took multiple passes to break through the sod its whole length; I had to make a U-turn at each end. The neighbors who farm small grain crops on three sides of our farm could satisfactorily disk that stretch in one pass in about five minutes, using a forty-foot wide disk, BUT wouldn’t be able to turn around at the end like I can; in this case, size does matter.
 
I tied a backpack fire pump on my tractor, and my ATV, when I went anywhere on the farm in case a wildfire would develop in the wealth of dry grass on either side. The spots on the hood are raindrops.
 

 
   My equipment is quaint. My tractor has no cab, no windshield, no roof to shield me from the elements; no heat in the wintertime; no AC in the summer. It sits outdoors all year around and looks it, but is well-maintained as I need to use it occasionally. I depend on it for a job like this. Besides, I love driving it. Must be the old family farmer gene in me that is pleased when it starts up; when it sips diesel fuel; when it walks through wet areas in fields I’d think twice about, pulling a 4-bottom plow, and gets through on the other side without getting stuck (That calls for a HURRAH!) Really, it does happen.

   So as it was this April 11th, it was a lovely partly cloudy evening by the time I had almost finished disking both sides of the firebreak. Scattered showers burst forth from cloud formations in the distance around me; occasionally I felt an errant raindrop from afar I imagined, for all too reliably forecasted rain systems had marched around us in 2023, so I wasn’t convinced that Palmville would get any of its passing glory — until it fell right on top of me as fat rain drops that splattered on the hood of the tractor, BB-sized sleet that bounced off my lap and brim of my cap, then pellets of hail that peppered me and drove me off the tractor and into the trees, laughing and hollering in sheer appreciation of something so long awaited.

   Of course I called the wife. “IT'S RAINING! And sleeting! And hailing!” I may have said ecstatically. 
 
   She didn’t believe me, naturally, for I am often joking about something or nothing as some husbands on faraway farm fields or prairie landscapes are known to do. Strange how that effects a person … So I sent her a photo, er, videos ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GUD-RIDGE! MAYBE THIS YEAR, BABY!

    Late April renders up another fine Joe tradition hereabouts, the Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge) Lions Annual Smelt Fry, in Gud-drudge’ (Goodridge), Minnesota, seventeen miles east and a mile north of Tuff Rubber Balls (Thief River Falls), Minnesota. ‘Gud-drudge’ is the local vernacular for ‘Goodridge,’ and its proper annunciation, is the separation between towners and tourists.     A small rural town, with a population of about 150 people, is an agricultural community residing within and well beyond the city limits. Often several miles apart, resident farmsteads dot the remote flatland topography of northwestern Minnesota, whose inhabitants often share the lifelong experiences of church, school, employment, and/or family relation.    The smelt fry is a community event that brings people home from across the region. Beginning in the morning, and in combination with area garage sales, auctions begin around town selling consignment items from boats to barrettes, wood stoves, ductwork, framed

Friends to the End: Delmer Roseen and Curtis Johnson

  Delmer and Curtis: Friends to the End      From where he was buried on Saturday April 11th, 1992, the tin roofs of his buildings could be seen through the trees. Across the fence, at the foot of his grave, were the fields he farmed. Between them, Mikinaak Creek--so much a part of Delmer Roseen’s life and sadly, his death--still winds through willow slough, over beaver dams below the Palmville Cemetery, and past his door to the South Fork of the Roseau River, only a few yards to the southeast.         Delmer lived northeast of us in Palmville Township. If I looked just right, I could see his yard light through the woods between his place and mine. Either of us could hear the soft ‘clung’ of the rope and pulley against the flag pole in the cemetery at the corner of our two farms. Red willows, popple islands, and slough grass; green mossy fence posts; the often submerged patchwork of woven wire, and the depth of water in the creek vaguely separated us.      Delmer had live

August 6th, 2020 Tired of Writing

                    Comment on Parental Rights 1869-1940     I finished the second installment of my grandfathers biography I wrote in the Wannaskan Almanac for today, late yesterday evening. http://wannaskanalmanac.blogspot.com/2020/08/thursday-august-6th-2020-parental.html       I had worked on it for a good day, by Wednesday, including a few hours on Tuesday too, and in my waning energy for it decided just to wrap it up, rather than keep slogging through dozens of transcribed interviews, page after page, searching for some item that would fit my story, chronologically. In truth, I wanted to be writing something fun.     It wasn't like I wasn't interested in what I was mired in; I enjoy a good slog once in awhile myself, but my dilemma was how do I keep it interesting to others and not get bogged down? I could've just copied pages to be sure, but I needed it to flow somewhat smoothly, and not become just a repetitive list of names, dates and places. Argh. But t