Skip to main content

Letter to Grand Children: A 2020 blog post never published until 2024

Yesterday I awoke with this very same idea being as my wife and I live here 'in the middle of nowhere' away from all the rest of our immediate family; the threat of contacting and spreading Covid, a further isolating experience, making things terribly worse especially during holiday periods and birthdays.

The wife stays in contact with our children, and grandchildren via Facebook/FaceTime, etc; occasional texts, and emails but, the way I see it, most of it is small talk with little substantive exchange of information, something I lament because their aging mother's/grandmother's, once-illustrative life is little known among them. I foresee regret on their parts for not asking her about herself NOW; born in 1944, what was her childhood like?; who were her her parents? Her siblings? What did she think of as a young girl. Where did she go to school? What was it like to raise four children all under the age of five? Learn the story of her life as only she can tell it before its too late.

We get caught up in the immediate in the headlong rush of our lives, and don't think to ask the elders about theirs, thinking or not thinking that they'll always be there until they're not; then later by chance or design, learn something about them that was unknown, then painfully realize their woeful failure to ask them when they had the opportunity.

Comments

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, social media are isolating our children from pretty much all forms of healthy, intimate relationship.

Popular posts from this blog

'Omen in Magenta: Roseau County Minnesota Storm Clouds June 10, 2002'

  Storm clouds entering Roseau County on June 10, 2002 preceding the county-wide flood of June 11.       On January 14, 2026, I found the above image buried away in a file cabinet. I had completely forgotten it and even now as I reexamine it wonder where I was when I took it. As old images often do, they can enable one to remember at least what we think happened, (before AI & Photoshop, etc) as photographic fact. And whereas, I can't recall the immediate hours following this image, I can recall to some degree of accuracy, how the flood affected me personally some of the days because I took many many pictures and published a good number of them in our magazine, THE RAVEN: Northwest Minnesota's Original Art, History, & Humor Journal, 1994-2018. The flood issue being Volume 7 Issue 1A.   Unknown to me at the time, if but briefly before Joe McDonnell called me to meet them in Wannaska to help sandbag around the church, threatened as it was by flood wate...

Last Evening of Muzzleloader Season 2025

     What a beautiful night just to be alive and outdoors dressed so warmly! I thank the universe for my being in its entirety of no wont nor regret, wholly appreciative of the immediate all around me.

Adventures in Parenting 1990-1993

    Two True Stories 1990-1993 " We didn’t make her fearful, we made her brave."     Bag O' Bonny           Turning in at Bemis Hill, in Roseau County, Minnesota, I snapped a few images of the nicely maintained CCC-era log cabin and its immediate sledding hill. Leaving, I turned west on the road I came in on, then a half mile or so, took the Bemis Hill Forest Road north along the bottom of the Hill when my daughter Bonny called from Ankeny, Iowa, where she lived then, several hundreds of miles away.     I always thought how amazing it was to be in the middle of nowhere and get a phone call. I was  leaning against my car along a remote northwest Minnesota forest road in Beltrami Island State Forest with the steep legendary sledding hill behind me and a 700,000 acre forest around me, possibly making me its sole human occupant for five square miles, conservatively speaking, the thought of which is just aw...