Skip to main content

June 2024 on Mikinaak Creek

 On the night of June 18, 2024 Mikinaak Creek received between 3 and 4 inches of rain. We slept through it. Then at daybreak awoke to the


 
MIKINAAKIPPI

 


It’d be great if we could hold water this big all year long. But this isn’t as high as it got in 2002, for there’d be no grass showing at all in that case. I have a high water mark up by the house. 

The bird feeder post marks the 2002 high water mark

Still, it's nice to be able to load the jon boat in the truck ...


drive the truck up our road

Unload the boat, drag it down the steep wooded bank to the water's edge and push off for a quick but wonderfully pleasant ride back home.


Life is good.


Comments

Wow! I think I'll use Mikinaakippi as a word next Wednesday.
Chairman Joe said…
As I ride the Mikinaakippi
I slowly drift, my paddle drippy

Popular posts from this blog

'Omen in Magenta: Roseau County Minnesota Storm Clouds June 10, 2002'

  Storm clouds entering Roseau County on June 10, 2002 preceding the county-wide flood of June 11.       On January 14, 2026, I found the above image buried away in a file cabinet. I had completely forgotten it and even now as I reexamine it wonder where I was when I took it. As old images often do, they can enable one to remember at least what we think happened, (before AI & Photoshop, etc) as photographic fact. And whereas, I can't recall the immediate hours following this image, I can recall to some degree of accuracy, how the flood affected me personally some of the days because I took many many pictures and published a good number of them in our magazine, THE RAVEN: Northwest Minnesota's Original Art, History, & Humor Journal, 1994-2018. The flood issue being Volume 7 Issue 1A.   Unknown to me at the time, if but briefly before Joe McDonnell called me to meet them in Wannaska to help sandbag around the church, threatened as it was by flood wate...

Adventures in Parenting 1990-1993

    Two True Stories 1990-1993 " We didn’t make her fearful, we made her brave."     Bag O' Bonny           Turning in at Bemis Hill, in Roseau County, Minnesota, I snapped a few images of the nicely maintained CCC-era log cabin and its immediate sledding hill. Leaving, I turned west on the road I came in on, then a half mile or so, took the Bemis Hill Forest Road north along the bottom of the Hill when my daughter Bonny called from Ankeny, Iowa, where she lived then, several hundreds of miles away.     I always thought how amazing it was to be in the middle of nowhere and get a phone call. I was  leaning against my car along a remote northwest Minnesota forest road in Beltrami Island State Forest with the steep legendary sledding hill behind me and a 700,000 acre forest around me, possibly making me its sole human occupant for five square miles, conservatively speaking, the thought of which is just aw...

Last Evening of Muzzleloader Season 2025

     What a beautiful night just to be alive and outdoors dressed so warmly! I thank the universe for my being in its entirety of no wont nor regret, wholly appreciative of the immediate all around me.